About The PowerMinistry.School
The PowerMinistry.School is a nonprofit (501c3) ministry based in Carlsbad, California, USA. Our mission is to help in the Equipping of every follower of Jesus for ministry in the Power of the Holy Spirit.
Our online courses are intended to be used by any follower of Jesus to explore what it means to learn to Live, Love, and Serve like Jesus.
Additionally, our strategy is to help Christian leaders and ministry organizations maximize the work they do to train and equip their leaders, members, and teams for effective life and ministry with Jesus.
Below are some FAQs that will help understand what the PowerMinistry.School is and how it might help you fulfill your calling in Jesus.
- The PowerMinistry.School is a FREE online learning platform designed to support the mission of Jesus’ church to train and mobilize his disciples for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:12).
- Our learning platform lets churches or ministry organizations develop blended-learning training experiences (utilizing both online and offline resources). We provide online course content that can be integrated into live classes or sessions.
- This online tool is designed for those who are committed to training and equipping members of the Body of Christ so that they not only KNOW but also can DO the works of the Kingdom.
- These courses provide learners access to the important core, foundational concepts essential for ministry in the power of the Holy Spirit so that it is balanced and sustainable. Churches and ministry organizations can then build on these concepts in their live-training sessions and focus more of their time and effort on application and skill development.
By using The PowerMinistry.School, ministry training can be more effective and efficient in the following ways:
- Reduce the time needed to deliver concepts and content. Students can come into live-training sessions with at least an initial exposure to the key concepts of ministry and the dynamics related to Spiritual Gifts and the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Maximize the time in live sessions for hands-on clinic, modeling, and demonstration by enabling participants to arrive at the session with a foundational understanding, or at least exposure to, the key concepts that will be the focus of the training session.
- Maximize the opportunity to reinforce and repeat essential ideas, concepts, values, etc., through repetition. Rather than the live training session being the student’s first exposure to key ideas, time spent in training sessions can better serve to reinforce and deepen their understanding, as well as to help them make the transition from Concepts to Application through modeling and clinics.
- Provide a shared set of core values, concepts, and language for all participants that will result in better coordination, communication, and teamwork.
These online resources can be used in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Small Groups: members view the sessions online and discuss and apply what they learned in the small group meetings when they meet.
- Training Programs: program participants use the online sessions as a key curriculum to augment live training sessions. This is a blended learning approach. These online courses can be used as prerequisites to attending the live training, as supplemental to the live training, and/or as follow up resources.
- Weekly preaching series: weekly assigned online sessions can follow up or preview Sunday sermons in a coordinated manner.
- Stand Alone: we also expect that there will be those whose only opportunity to begin learning about these concepts and practices will be on their own.
This project was not conceived in a vacuum. Over the years we have observed and experienced various challenges and obstacles that hinder or prevent a healthy practice and high level of participation in the ministry practices of the Kingdom of Jesus. We seek to minimize these hindrances by establishing a better understanding of best practices and wisdom as a foundation for learning to participate in the power and ministry of Jesus by the Holy Spirit.
- Confusion – Most believers are bombarded by disjointed and disconnected ideas and experiences. By providing a framework of ideas and explanations we find that this confusion can be reduced, if not eliminated, as they begin to explore and develop in the practices of power ministry. These courses will establish a grid for interpreting and understanding new ideas and experiences they will encounter.
- Expectation – While there are times and places where experiences of God’s power and work seemingly come from ‘out of nowhere,’ it is often the case that he responds to growing faith and expectation as he works with his children. This curriculum will focus and increasing expectations for the work of the Holy Spirit.
- Limited Time – Another problem local congregations struggle with is finding the time to do enough equipping and training. This is experienced in two big ways: 1) people are busy with hectic lives and find it difficult to attend the number of training sessions needed to learn new information and be exposed to new skills. 2) congregations need to spend the precious teaching and training time they do have available on multiple things. Unless they are a ‘one topic’ church, it is difficult to schedule training sessions often enough to accomplish the level of training needed to adequately train members, much less to bring new people coming into the church up to speed.
- No Baseline – Finally, local congregations that do value “equipping the saints for ministry” often discover that their congregation is filled with people from diverse theological and ministry methodology backgrounds. Given the challenge to provide accessible teaching and training this results in a limited level of uniformity in values, priorities, and practices.
Our approach is based upon the following understandings about the Kingdom of God and the ways God works in and through the Church to advance his kingdom purposes by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Everyone Gets To Play: Ministry in the power of God is for every member of the body of Christ.
- Anyone Can Be Taught: Everyone can learn how to hear from God and how to cooperate with the Holy Spirit (using spiritual gifts) in the process of ministry.
- Generalization and Specialization: While everyone can participate, some will specialize and develop ministries characterized by strong evidence and fruitfulness in some areas more than others.
- Ordinary versus Extraordinary Times and Places: We see two general contexts in the Bible and in the modern experience of the church. One is what we call Extraordinary Times and Places. These are special in that the power and presence of God are Extraordinary in scope, power, and fruitfulness. Included in this would be things like great awakenings, revivals, and places where the power of God seems to be abiding and unusually manifest. The other context is what we call Ordinary Times and Places. This is where the church spends most of its time both when meeting together and when salted out into the world at work and living normal life. Many of the teaching and training resources published today seem to be focused primarily on the Extraordinary Times and Places, that is, how to work within and facilitate ministry in big power meetings, to encourage the release of revival in churches and communities, etc. The Power Ministry School is focused on training and equipping every believer to be able to hear from God and live and serve in the power of the Holy Spirit in the Ordinary Times and Places of Life. Our conviction is that while we are grateful and eager to see the Extraordinary, the fact is that we spend most of our time in the Ordinary. We want to help the church to be powerful and fruitful in the power of God in the normal flow of church life, family life and work life. We also believe that if everyone is equipped to hear from God and serve in the power of the Spirit in the Ordinary, then when the Extraordinary comes they will be able to easily ramp up and participate in all that God is doing.
- Naturally Supernatural: The work of the Holy Spirit and the power of God are not aided by adding religious affectations or emotional hype. While there are times when ‘things happen’ to people (shaking, crying, jerking movements, falling down, etc.) there is no value to cultivate them as a means or method, or as a requirement for the work of the Holy Spirit or the practice of ministry in the Power of God. Believers can learn how to confidently bring the love and power of Jesus into their world as normal people doing extraordinary things, without having to ‘put on’ religious trappings or eccentric behaviors.
The Power Ministry School began as an idea that emerged while pastoring Vineyard church plants and leading Healing and Spiritual Gifts seminars. While we saw a lot of good, and a lot of God’s power, we also saw major gaps that, if filled, might increase both the fruitfulness of our ministries and of our lives in all ways. The Power Ministry School idea is the implementation of a strategy that we hope will fill the gaps and result in a lot of good.
Here are some brief highlights about who I am and what I’ve been doing.
- Ron and Susan Ford were married in 1974 and have raised and launched four sons into the world.
Church Leadership Experience
- In 1984 Ron and Susan planted and lead the Bakersfield Vineyard Christian Fellowship (Kern County, CA)
- Ron was ordained by John Wimber/Vineyard Ministries International in 1984.
- In 1996 Ron and Susan planted and lead a second church, the Vineyard Inland North County (San Diego County, CA)
Ministry Training Experience
In addition to ongoing teaching, training, and coaching in the local church context of two Vineyard churches we planted I also:
- Developed and delivered a seminar called “The Power Ministry Seminar” in the US and New Zealand.
- Developed and delivered a seminar called “Learning To Think Strategically About The Kingdom” in the US.
- Developed and delivered a seminar called “The Ministry of Leading” in the US.
- Over multiple years I served in the Association of Vineyard Churches as an Area Pastoral Coordinator, District Pastoral Coordinator, and Regional Overseer, and served on the National Board for AVC.
- Provided team-based strategic planning consulting services to various Christian organizations including Vineyard Music Group, the Anaheim Vineyard, Desert Stream Ministries, and local congregations and schools.
- Served on the Board of Directors of Desert Stream Ministries
- Published co-author books on leadership and strategic planning.
- Provided team-based strategic planning and executive coaching for business organizations.
- In my day job(s) I currently serve as the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for the International Academy of Public Safety (see also this online leadership academy for public safety) and acting CTO for Epochal Technologies, Inc.
- I also am involved in the design and management of software projects to develop custom solutions.
Interested In Learning More? Contact us with your questions.